Yukon Man Deals With Mold In His Apartment
YUKON, Oklahoma - Mold lines the ceiling of Gary Allen’s apartment in Yukon. He constantly has the fan and AC on to air out the musty odor.
Days after a storm, Allen’s carpets were still wet from flooding. He said the upstairs apartment leaks water into his apartment after every rain. On Friday, he woke up to rain dropping on his face and found covering every inch of the apartment.
Allen said instead of fixing the problem, the landlord gave him a key to the empty apartment upstairs.
“She said well here’s the key in case the rain comes, you can go up there and pour the water out of there,” he said.
Allen went upstairs to find large trash cans underneath holes in the roof. Even darker mold is spread across the ceiling.
“So far, I haven’t seen nobody out here doing nothing,” said Allen.
News 9 knocked on the apartment office door at 1:20 p.m., attempting to talk to management. The sign on the door said someone would return at 1:30 p.m. News 9 returned to the door and knocked at 1:30 p.m. The sign on the door changed to return at 5:45 p.m.
“I don’t want to wake up one morning laying under dry wall,” said Allen with fear that the roof above him will collapse.
After reaching out to the Oklahoma State Health Department and the Oklahoma Department of Environmental Quality, News 9 learned there is no entity in the state that regulates mold, but fact sheets are provided.
The tenant said he can’t afford to move anywhere else. The last hope for Allen is that his landlord will hear his message and fix the problems.