Crews Battle Blaze After Home Explodes In NE OKC
OKLAHOMA CITY - Firefighters battled a blaze in NE OKC that sent two people to the hospital Sunday morning. Crews on scene say a home exploded, catching a neighboring home on fire.
Just after 9:30 a.m., the Oklahoma City Fire Department responded to a home in the 3200 block of NE 15th.
Upon arrival, crews said the home was fully engulfed in flames after exploding and threatening the neighboring home. Crews simultaneously attacked both fires.
Firefighters determined the first home as a total loss. The neighboring home was vacant and received heavy charring on its side. There was little damage to the inside.
According to the Oklahoma City Fire Department, there were two adults in the initial home at the time of the fire.
It was determined that a man had been smoking a cigarette while using a medical oxygen tank and it caught fire. A woman tried to get him out of the home and was eventually aided by a neighbor. Shortly after they made it out of the home, the fire grew. Two other oxygen tanks inside the home ruptured and caused an explosion.
The man was transported to a local hospital in an unknown condition. The woman and neighbor were both treated and released at the scene.