New Details In Officer-Involved Shooting In NW OKC
OKLAHOMA CITY - An investigation is underway following an officer-involved shooting on the northwest side late Tuesday evening.
The suspect, 40-year-old Ronnie Calvert, was rushed to the hospital with gunshot wounds, and is still fighting for his life.
Police say Calvert was armed and had already hurt someone else when officers arrived to his home near NW 69th and Grand Boulevard. In fact, it was an assault that brought police out to the home in the first place.
Police say Officers Dalton Kennedy and Megan Morgan were there to investigate after a man showed up to a local hospital with a significant head injury. The man told police he was attacked by Calvert around 10 p.m.
When officers stopped at Calvert's home around 2 a.m., they say he was standing in the front yard with a gun in his hand.
"The officers instructed him and ordered him to drop the gun," Capt. Paco Balderrama explained. “The suspect did not do that and instead raised it in the direction of the officers."
Balderrama says the two officers then shot Calvert in self-defense.
"Officers never go out there wanting to shoot someone or wanting to have that on their conscious," Balderrama said, “but in a case like this, they really had no choice."
Police say Calvert has a history of violence. Records at the Oklahoma County Jail show he was arrested for assault and battery with a dangerous weapon in 2011.
Calvert will be facing similar charges when he recovers from his injuries. At last check, he is listed in critical condition, but has been stabilized at a local hospital.
Meanwhile, both officers will be placed on routine leave pending an investigation.