Oklahoma Red Cross Releases Cold Weather Safety Tips
OKLAHOMA CITY - Officials with the Red Cross in Oklahoma said there have been no requests for Red Cross services as a result of the snow so far Monday. But in light of the snow and cold temperatures, they released the following tips to stay safe at home.
- “Keep an eye on what you fry.” Stay in the kitchen when frying, grilling or using an open flame.
- “3 feet from the heat.” Furniture, curtains, dish towels and anything that could catch fire are at least 3 feet from any type of heat source.
- Never smoke in bed.
- Large and small appliances are plugged directly into wall outlets.
- Matches and lighters are locked away.
In Your Home:
- Change smoke alarm batteries every year unless it has a long-life battery.
- Replace smoke alarms every ten years.
- Test your smoke alarms each month. If they're not working, they can't get you out the door.
- At least twice a year, practice your fire escape plan with all family members.