E-Cigarette Charger Sparks OKC Home Fire; Woman Burned
OKLAHOMA CITY - An electronic cigarette charger is being blamed for a fire that burned an Oklahoma City woman early Thursday morning.
The fire happened just before 2 a.m. Thursday inside the back bedroom of a home in the 11000 block of Leaning Elm Road near May Avenue and Hefner Road.
The victim and her daughter were inside when the fire started.
Firefighters say the woman attempted to put the fire out herself, but burned her hand and the fire was spreading too fast to stop it.
The blaze burned the bedroom, furniture and parts of a back porch.
Firefighters estimate the damage is around $75,000.
A fire spokesman on scene told News 9 this isn't the first time they've responded to a fire that was started by an e-cigarette charger.
Several other fires have been reported across Oklahoma and the nation.