Family Of 10 Escapes House Fire In NE OKC - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |

Family Of 10 Escapes House Fire In NE OKC

Posted: Updated:
Firefighters say a space heater in a cluttered area sparked a fire at a northeast Oklahoma City home. Firefighters say a space heater in a cluttered area sparked a fire at a northeast Oklahoma City home.
Fire victim Crystal Gaston says she and her family hope others will learn from their mistake, and be careful when using space heaters. Fire victim Crystal Gaston says she and her family hope others will learn from their mistake, and be careful when using space heaters.
OKLAHOMA CITY -

Three adults and seven children escaped a burning house Thursday morning when a space heater sparked a fire in their northeast Oklahoma City home.

The fire started just before 6 a.m. at a house near N.E. 14th Street and Standish Avenue. The flames quickly spread, but firefighters arrived within minutes and put out the fire.

Firefighters say the family was using a space heater in a cluttered area, and that's what caused the fire.

"My sister got up, she turned the space heater off," said fire victim Crystal Gaston. "Then around 5:30 or 6, the room was just orange, bursting in flames. So we just go all the kinds out. We didn't think about anything. We just got everybody out of the house."

The family says some of them ran out outside in the frigid weather without jackets or shoes, but they are all okay. They tell News 9 they hope people learn a lesson from their story, and use space heaters safely.

Powered by WorldNow
News 9
7401 N. Kelley Ave.
Oklahoma City, OK 73111
OKLAHOMA CITY'S OWN TM
Oklahoma's Own News9.com is proud to provide Oklahomans with timely and relevant news and information, sharing the stories, pictures and loves of Oklahomans across our great state including Oklahoma City's Own.
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014, WorldNow and KWTV. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.