Purcell Family Speaks Out On House Fire That Injured Daughters - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |

NEWS

Purcell Family Speaks Out On House Fire That Injured Daughters

Posted: Updated:
The Purcell Fire Department says the fire was caused by an electrical problem. But the chief says the family's injuries could have been prevented with some working smoke detectors. The Purcell Fire Department says the fire was caused by an electrical problem. But the chief says the family's injuries could have been prevented with some working smoke detectors.
Jennifer Epperson is recovering from burns she suffered in a house fire. Jennifer Epperson is recovering from burns she suffered in a house fire.
Everyone got out of the home, but all three daughters were injured. Danielle and Stacy are back home, but Mary is still in hospital. She's expected to be released by Monday. Everyone got out of the home, but all three daughters were injured. Danielle and Stacy are back home, but Mary is still in hospital. She's expected to be released by Monday.
PURCELL, Oklahoma -

A Purcell family is sending out a warning following a house fire that has forever changed their lives. Right now, one daughter is in the hospital and as News 9 reported earlier this week, their landlord could face charges.

The Purcell Fire Department says the fire was caused by an electrical problem. But the chief says the family's injuries could have been prevented with some working smoke detectors. And now the mom says she agrees.

Jennifer Epperson is recovering from burns she suffered in a house fire.

"My fingertips are almost completely healed," said Epperson.

But all she cares about is the health of her daughters.

11/20/2013 Related Story: Three Girls Injured While Escaping Burning Home In Purcell

"Physical therapy, probably occupational therapy, maybe some psychological stuff because this is the biggest trauma for these kids," Epperson said.

The family was asleep Nov. 20 when their Purcell home caught fire.

"All I remember is telling him I smelled something and he's telling me get up, get the kids out, the house is on fire."

Everyone got out of the home, but all three daughters were injured. Danielle and Stacy are back home, but Mary is still in hospital. She's expected to be released by Monday.

"This is overwhelming."

The Purcell Fire Chief says there were no working smoke detectors inside the house and now an agent with the state fire marshal's office is asking for charges to be filed against the landlord. The family is turning tragedy into a chance to warn others.

"Make sure you have working smoke detectors. I don't care if you rent a house or own a house, make your landlord put smoke detectors in and if you own a house, put some in."

The Epperson's house is a complete loss, so they are staying with relatives. The District Attorney still has to decide if charges will be filed against the landlord.

12/4/2013 Related Story: Agent Calls For Charges Against Landlord In Purcell House Fire

Special Features

Desktop Radar

Know when severe weather moves into Oklahoma! Download the I-News Desktop Radar.

iPhone App

Get breaking news, weather, sports & video directly on your iPhone.

Mobile Alerts

Get breaking news, headlines, weather alerts & more on your cell phone.

Classifieds

Use our free classifieds to find the things you need or sell your items.

TV Schedule

Need to know what's on TV? Check out our television schedule.

Live Radar

ESP Interactive
Powered by WorldNow
News 9
7401 N. Kelley Ave.
Oklahoma City, OK 73111
OKLAHOMA CITY'S OWN TM
Oklahoma's Own News9.com is proud to provide Oklahomans with timely and relevant news and information, sharing the stories, pictures and loves of Oklahomans across our great state including Oklahoma City's Own.
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014, WorldNow and KWTV. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.