OKLAHOMA CITY - Coolidge Elementary School students will return to school Wednesday after a suspicious smell forced them to evacuate the school Tuesday afternoon.

The children were taken out of the southwest Oklahoma City school around 1 p.m. when administrators thought there may a natural gas leak. According to Oklahoma City Public Schools spokesperson Tierney Tinnin, no children were sickened but officials decided to evacuate the school as a precaution.

Oklahoma City firefighters and Oklahoma Natural Gas crews rushed to the scene and inspected the HVAC units on the roof for possible leaks. A faulty meter reader initially indicated there was a gas leak, but crews later learned there was no leak.

Dozens of parents arrived at the school and were allowed to take their children home. The children were never allowed back into the school. School usually ends at 3:10 p.m., but most of the students were gone by 3 p.m. 

This incident comes one day after Lee Elementary School in Oklahoma City was evacuated due to a carbon monoxide leak.

News 9 has a crew at the scene gathering more information. Stay with News9.com for updates.