Girl Accidentally Sets Southwest OKC House On Fire
OKLAHOMA CITY - Firefighters said it appeared an 11-year-old girl accidentally started a fire in her home Wednesday morning while searching under her bed.
Fire crews rushed to the house in the 1100 block of S.W. 28th Street just after 7 a.m. They found heavy smoke and flames in the back of the house. Everyone escaped the house safely and no one was hurt.
Once crews extinguished the fire, they learned the girl had used a lighter to search under her bed for some pencils. She accidentally set the bed on fire and the flames soon raced out of control.
About two-thirds of the house was damaged. Firefighters said parents should make sure to keep lighters and matches away from their children.