Officer Labeled 'Gangbanger' Has Felony Charge Dismissed - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |

Officer Labeled 'Gangbanger' Has Felony Charge Dismissed

Posted: Updated:
A felony charge was dropped against Oklahoma City Police Officer Diron Carter after he agreed to resign from the force. A felony charge was dropped against Oklahoma City Police Officer Diron Carter after he agreed to resign from the force.
Oklahoma City Police Officer Michael McKethan still faces a charge of using a vehicle to facilitate the intentional discharge of a firearm, but the D.A. said the case will be disposed of early next month. Oklahoma City Police Officer Michael McKethan still faces a charge of using a vehicle to facilitate the intentional discharge of a firearm, but the D.A. said the case will be disposed of early next month.

Jon Jordan, News 9

OKLAHOMA CITY -- An Oklahoma City police officer who risked spending years behind bars struck a deal that will keep him out of prison.

Back in June, officers Michael McKethan and Diron Carter were charged with using a vehicle to facilitate the intentional discharge of a firearm.

According to the probable cause affidavit, both officers had been in some type of argument that had taken place at Night Trips Club in Oklahoma City on June 16, 2009. After the club closed, the affidavit stated, the off-duty officers got into their SUV, and that's when Carter made the statement "Wanna see my baby glock?" According to the affidavit, shortly after Carter made that statement, witnesses reported he fired one shot in the direction of a group of patrons they had been arguing with.

Following the incident Oklahoma County District Attorney David Prater referred to the officers as 'gangbangers' saying, "it's sad that they are Oklahoma City police officers but if they want to act like gangbangers, we're going to treat them like gangbangers."

However, after spending more than a year and half on paid administrative leave, recent court documents showed Carter, the alleged shooter, had his charge dismissed.

According to a court document signed by Prater, Carter's felony charge of using a vehicle to facilitate the intentional discharge of a firearm was "dismissed on its merits." Prater said the charge was dismissed after he was able to strike a deal with Carter and his attorney. Prater said he would agree to drop the charge as long as Carter was willing to resign from the department. Prater said Carter agreed to resign effective December 2.

Prater said his reasoning for striking a deal with Carter was because he felt it was the best way to ensure Carter would not be allowed to get his badge back.

As for McKethan, the alleged driver, his case is still "pending." However Prater said McKethan's case will also be disposed of early next month. Prater refused to comment on why McKethan's case will be dropped until the case is closed.

Even though McKethan's case is expected to be disposed of, the veteran officer still faces criminal troubles. Earlier this year the state charged McKethan for filing a false insurance claim. That case remains pending in district court.

Powered by Frankly
News 9
7401 N. Kelley Ave.
Oklahoma City, OK 73111
News9.com is proud to provide Oklahomans with timely and relevant news and information, sharing the stories, pictures and loves of Oklahomans across our great state.
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 KWTV. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.