4-year-old Accidentally Starts Apartment Fire
By Rusty Surette, NEWS 9
OKLAHOMA CITY -- Oklahoma City firefighters are investigating a large fire at the Pickwick Place Apartments. A 4-year-old said she accidentally started the fire while playing with a lighter and her Elmo doll.
"I'm just happy they're all okay," said Judy Joslin, the girl's grandmother.
The fire was quick to spread throughout the unit Tuesday afternoon.
"I was scared," said 4-year-old Halie who admitted to accidentally setting the fire. Also in the apartment was her 2-month old baby brother and her mother.
"We always talk to the grandkids about fire safety," Joslin said. "We are just happy and thanking God they all made it out okay. The stuff inside is replaceable but children aren't. You can not replace a child and I thank God all three are OK."
Several units were evacuated at the complex near Interstate 240 and Western Avenue. Fire crews were able to put out the blaze.
The 4-year-old girl, a 2-month-old baby and the girl's mother and grandmother escaped without injury.
The Red Cross is on scene helping the families who have been displaced.
No other injuries were reported.
You can help out the family by donating at any Bank of Oklahoma location under the Brandi Fash account.