Drunk Driver Accused of Killing Child Waives Preliminary Hearing
By Dave Jordan, NEWS 9
OKLAHOMA CITY -- A drunk driver who police said killed a child when he slammed into the back of a car on I-240 Service Road and Western has waived his right to a preliminary hearing.
James Opp, 60, has been charged with manslaughter in the death of 5-year old Adam Stutts. Adam's 3-year-old sister Avery was also injured in the crash.
"My client decided he didn't want to put the family of the deceased through any additional pain and suffering through testimony," said Defense Attorney Irven Box.
Oklahoma County District Attorney David Prater filed the first-degree manslaughter charge against Opp in March. If convicted, Opp will face at least a 10-year prison sentence but could get up to life.
Opp's trial is slated for July.
More on News9.com:
- 1 Child Killed, 1 Critically Injured in Southwest Oklahoma City Wreck
- New Details Released on Drunk Driver who Killed Child
- Man Charged With Driving Drunk and Killing 5-Year-Old Has Extensive Drug Past
- DA Files Manslaughter Charges Against Man Accused of Killing Child
- Drunk Driver Accused of Killing Child to Appear Before Judge
- Man Charged in Deadly Wreck Ordered Back to Jail